El Salvador Asks U.N. for $137 Million to Support Peace Accord
UNITED NATIONS (AP) _ El Salvador asked the United Nations on Wednesday for $137 million to help fulfill the U.N.-brokered peace accord that ended the country’s 12-year civil war.
Salvadoran Vice President Enrique Borgo Bustamante said he was confident his request would be heeded.
``In El Salvador, the U.N. was a winner and they understand that they have to give the story a good end,″ said Borgo, who met with Security Council President Emilio Cardenas and Secretary-General Boutros Boutros-Ghali.
Borgo said the money was needed for land transfers, the resettlement of 41,000 people, including fighters and squatters, and the rehabilitation of the wounded.
The Security Council voted late last year to withdraw its 150-member observer mission in May, but cautioned that many provisions of the 1992 peace accord remained unfulfilled, including land reform and police demobilization.
Borgo said the police force was demobilized last week, but a new force was still being established.
The peace accord ended fighting between the government and Marxist rebels that left some 75,000 people dead.