CSRA College Night rescheduled for Thursday in Augusta
Because of severe weather created by Hurricane Florence, the CSRA College Night has been rescheduled from 5 to 8:30 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 27, in the James Brown Arena at 601 7th St. in Augusta.
“We had more than 120 college representatives throughout the United States who have committed to attend this event, many from or traveling through states that were forecast to have a direct impact by Hurricane Florence,” said Francine Burroughs, the manager, SRNS Education Outreach and Talent Management. “Rescheduling this event ensured the safety of all participants.”
College Night annually provides local high school students an opportunity to meet recruiters from more than 100 colleges and universities and win scholarships totaling $16,000. Admission is free, and the event is open to the public.
College Night provides a way for students and parents in the Aiken-Augusta area to:
• Obtain information on educational opportunities, admission requirements and tuition;
• Attend seminars to get information about HOPE and LIFE scholarships, financial aid and essay writing for college admissions, time management, learning styles, scholarships and joint enrollment;
• Visit a counseling center that will be open throughout the evening where students and parents can seek advice about the college application process from high school advisors and admissions professionals;
• Visit a career exploration area where students can discover their options after college. Students will be able to participate in a quick “card sort” interest inventory to validate their career choice; and
• Register to participate in the drawing for a $1,000 scholarship. Students must attend and register in person at CSRA College Night to be eligible. To qualify for a College Night scholarship, students must be high school juniors or seniors and graduate with a GPA equal or above 2.5 on a 4.0 scale or equivalent.
For more information, visit the College Night website at www.srs.gov, click on Outreach, then Education Outreach Programs, then CSRA College Night.