Related topics

Sports Shorts

May 1, 1989

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) _ While George Brett begins what he hopes will be a month-long recuperation, Luis de los Santos will be playing first base for the Kansas City Royals.

Brett, the Royals’ co-captain and two-time batting champion, was placed on the 21-day disabled list over the weekend after tearing a ligament in his right knee during a game against Milwaukee.

″I would say he will be out a minimum of four weeks and probably a maximum of six weeks,″ said Dr. Charles Rhoades. ″The rehabilitation period will start in about two weeks.″

Doctors will put the knee in a light split for a couple of weeks.

″He has a tear of the medial collateral ligament of his right knee,″ Rhoades said. ″These are graded in grades one, two and three, and this is a grade three. A grade three tear is considered a complete tear. It will not require surgical intervention.″

Brett, 35, is an 11-time All-Star third baseman who switched to first three seasons ago.

″Obviously, I’m disappointed,″ Brett said in a statement released Sunday through the club. ″I work hard every day to keep in shape and then I tear up a knee because I catch a spike in the turf. At least the club is playing well. It’s difficult for me but I’m trying to be a little more philosophical about it. All I can do is get ready for when I come back.″

Brett’s .390 average in 1980 is the highest in the major leagues since Ted Williams hit .407 in 1941. He was hitting .253 this year.

De los Santos was recalled from Omaha, where he was hitting .342 with 14 RBIs.

Brett’s injury comes at the end of the hottest April in team history. The Royals’ 2-0 victory over Milwaukee Sunday gave them a team-record 16 victories in April.

″This is not to say we’re not going to miss him, but everybody feels we’re a stronger ballclub and we can make do til he gets back,″ Wathan said. ″In the old days when he got hurt everybody’s shoulders would droop and we’d think, ’How are we going to win?‴


WESTERVILLE, Ohio (AP) - A Baldwin-Wallace baseball player was in critical condition following surgery for a neck fracture suffered while sliding head- first into third base during a game at Otterbein College, a Baldwin-Wallace spokesman said.

Guy Fisher, 21, was in surgery at St. Ann’s Hospital in Westerville from about 6 p.m. Sunday until 2:15 a.m. today, said Kevin Ruple, sports information director at Baldwin Wallace.

″He had some feeling in his hands and his arms,″ Ruple said. ″There was nothing from the waist down.″

Following the surgery, doctors said there was a high possibility that Fisher would be permanently paralyzed from the waist down, Ruple said early today.

″All we can do is hope and offer prayers,″ he said.

The junior second baseman fractured the fifth vertabra in his neck, said a nursing supervisor at St. Ann’s who would not give her name.

The accident occurred in the seventh inning of Sunday’s first game at Otterbein when Fisher, trying to reach third on a wild pitch, collided with the third baseman, Ruple said.

The business major and honors student is the son of Baldwin-Wallace baseball coach Bob Fisher, Ruple said.

Otterbein defeated Baldwin-Wallace 4-0 when play resumed, and beat Baldwin- Wallace 3-2 in the second game, he said.


GALVESTON, Texas (AP) - George Foreman, undefeated in 17 fights since coming out of retirement two years ago, thinks the time has come for him to get the chance to prove his comeback is for real.

And he thinks undisputed heavyweight champion Mike Tyson is the only opponent he needs to make his point.

″We’ve got an offer on the table for $20 million from Tokyo and from China,″ the 40-year-old Foreman said Sunday after stopping J.B. Williamson in the fifth round. ″We can split it any way he wants. I want Mike Tyson.″

Foreman, former heavyweight world champion, used a flurry of punches to stop Williamson, who weighed in 55 1/2 pounds lighter than the 255 3/4 Foreman.

″He was concentrating on moving. They are still running from me like jackrabbits,″ Foreman said. ″I’m going to keep fighting like this until I get to 265 pounds. That’s the reason he ran from me, because I am a big man.″

Referee Chris Jordon stopped the fight at 1:57 of the fifth round, with Foreman pounding Williamson with combinations.

Update hourly