Related topics

Young Mother Killed at Bus Stop

October 21, 1997

LOWELL, Mass. (AP) _ A young mother was shot at a bus stop in front of at least 16 schoolchildren Tuesday and died with two of her own youngsters holding her hand. Her former boyfriend was arrested hours later.

``Did you know my mother was dead?″ Annie Glenn’s oldest child, age 5, told his godmother as she comforted him and his younger brother and sister in a police station.

``I just hugged him,″ said the godmother, Lela Boykins Hall.

Richard Kenney, 35, was arrested about six hours after the shooting, in Cambridge, 25 miles south of Lowell, after police found the car witnesses had described.

Kenney was arrested on suspicion of murder. Kenney, who worked for a temporary agency doing asbestos removal, was the father of Ms. Glenn’s two younger children.

The shooting took place shortly before 7:30 a.m. in downtown Lowell.

Ms. Glenn, 23, had walked to the bus stop with her sons, ages 4 and 5, and her daughter, 2, after they had spent the night nearby at the House of Hope, a shelter for homeless families. The 5-year-old was taking the bus to kindergarten.

Ms. Hall said Ms. Glenn had broken off her relationship with Kenney and moved to Lowell from New Hampshire about two months ago. She said she saw both Kenney and Ms. Glenn in church Sunday, but they were no longer together.

``She was at House of Hope because the relationship had ended,″ Ms. Hall said. ``She tried to be a good mother to them. She said she left. ... It was not safe for her children or for her.″

Police said Ms. Glenn had obtained two restraining orders against Kenney in 1994 that had expired well before her death. In one instance, she complained: ``He knows I’m afraid of him, and every time I tell him I want him out or I’m going to call the cops, he tells me ’I’m going to kill you.‴

Two women elsewhere in the state _ one in Brockton, the other in Everett _ had current restraining orders against Kenney.

Ms. Glenn’s three children had been playing in a parking lot. Then, witnesses said, a car pulled up and a man got out and began arguing with Ms. Glenn.

``I heard two shots, and I went to the window and looked out, and there were three kids around her screaming and crying,″ said Margaret Shepard, who lives nearby.

Ms. Glenn was shot three times, twice in the head and once in the upper body.

Witnesses to the shooting included the 16 schoolchildren at the bus stop. Ms. Glenn’s children watched as an officer tried to revive their mother and as a priest offered a final blessing.

Lowell Police Officer Steven Coyle, who was passing by, saw Ms. Glenn face-down on the pavement. Two of her children were holding her hand. Coyle tried to resuscitate her.

``They just asked me if their mother was going to be all right,″ Coyle said. ``I said, ’We’re doing the best we can.‴

At the House of Hope, a few blocks away, executive director Cheryl McLarney said: ``We’ve never had anything happen like this before, and we’re just grappling with the magnitude of it.″

She added: ``She was a devoted mom. I can tell you that.″

Long before Ms. Glenn was killed, a shelter had planned a candlelight vigil for Tuesday night, in memory of victims of domestic violence. The names of the women were to be read aloud.

``Her name obviously will be added to the list,″ said Kathy Kelley, the shelter’s executive director.

Update hourly