AP NEWS

Authorities arrest N.A. suspect from 2011 shooting

December 4, 2018

A North Augusta man who has been wanted by local law enforcement for nearly seven years was finally arrested and charged last week in connection with a 2011 shooting incident on Delahanty Court.

Rafael Castro Velasco, 30, of the 100 block of Delahanty Court, is charged with attempted murder, according to jail records.

Velasco is also on hold for immigrations, records show.

On Dec. 7, 2011, Aiken County Sheriff’s Office deputies responded to 160 Delahanty Court in North Augusta in reference to a report of a shooting incident, according to the report.

The victim involved in the incident was on the scene when deputies arrived and he told investigators he came to the residence, which is the suspect’s home, in an attempt to speak to him about “harassing” his daughter, police reported.

While speaking with the suspect, the victim told police the suspect became “irate” and retrieved a handgun from his vehicle, the report states.

The victim claimed the suspect fired the weapon at him three times, with one bullet hitting the victim’s vehicle, breaking the passenger side rear window, according to the report.

As the suspect was firing his weapon, the victim claimed the suspect was actively threatening to kill him, the report states.

The suspect fled the scene before police arrived.

Investigators searched the area, where they located two 9mm shell casings on the ground, police reported.

A warrant for attempted murder was obtained for Velasco by police in December 2011, but he managed to evade arrest for nearly seven years.

On Nov. 29, 2018, deputies finally brought Velasco into custody. However, as of Monday, the Aiken County Sheriff’s Office has not released any information pertaining to Velasco’s arrest.

He was taken to the Aiken County detention center, where he was still being held as of Monday afternoon.

AP RADIO
Update hourly