Warrant Issued for Suharto’s Son
JAKARTA, Indonesia (AP) _ Prosecutors issued a warrant for the arrest of former dictator Suharto’s youngest son, convicted on corruption charges, and moved to take him into custody on Friday.
State attorney Antasari Ashar said a team of officials was bound for the central Jakarta home of Hutomo ``Tommy″ Mandala Putra, 38, which is on the same street as his father’s home. He is to serve an 18-month sentence at Jakarta’s Cipinang Prison for corruption.
President Abdurrahman Wahid rejected a plea for clemency Thursday.
Plans to take the multimillionaire playboy into custody Friday morning were delayed because of last-minute paperwork hitch. Tommy’s attorneys complained they had not received a copy of a presidential decree outlining Wahid’s decision not to grant him a pardon.
Antasari told reporters Friday afternoon that a copy of the decree had been delivered, and he issued the arrest warrant.
The Supreme Court convicted Tommy on Sept. 22 of being involved in a land scam that cost the government $11 million.
Tommy denied any wrongdoing and has avoided prison while Wahid decided on his application for clemency. He also launched an appeal against the Supreme Court verdict, which overturned his acquittal in a lower court several months earlier.
Wahid indicated Friday that Suharto’s five other super-rich children might face graft investigations. Action might also be taken against other members of the Suharto clan who became wealthy during the former leader’s 32-year rule.
In an address at a Jakarta mosque, Wahid said his decision not to grant clemency was one of his administration’s high points.
``I hope the people will be patient while waiting for the legal process to deal with Suharto’s other children,″ Wahid said.
The move against Tommy comes about six weeks after an abortive attempt to prosecute Suharto on separate corruption charges. Wahid’s reformist agenda suffered a major setback when doctors declared that Suharto, 79, was unfit to face trial and the charges were dismissed.