Idaho Teen’s Death Blamed On Hantavirus
SPOKANE, Wash. (AP) _ An Idaho teen-ager died in October from the rodent-borne hantavirus infection, new tests show.
The 14-year-old Coeur d’Alene boy, Dyne Phillip, came down with flu-like symptoms, then developed severe respiratory problems, officials said. He died Oct. 14 at Sacred Heart Medical Center in Spokane, where he was taken after falling ill in his hometown.
Test results show the death was linked to the virus, which is associated with exposure to the droppings of deer mice, Dr. Paul Stepak, Spokane County health district epidemiologist, said Monday.
At least 48 cases of the illness have been identified in 12 states and 28 people, including the Idaho teen, have died, health officials said.
The disease was first recognized in the southwestern United States seven months ago. It has since been linked to respiratory illnesses as far back as September 1990, health officials said.