AP NEWS
Related topics

1 person dead following overnight fire in Topeka

May 15, 2018

TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) — Authorities say unattended cooking is the likely cause of a deadly house fire in northeast Topeka.

The Topeka Capital-Journal reports the blaze was called in at 12:08 a.m. Tuesday at a one-story, wooden-framed house.

Topeka Fire Department Shift Commander Dan Macke says that first-arriving crews reported the house was fully involved in flames. The fire appeared to have done the most damage on its back side.

The victim, who wasn’t immediately identified, was found inside the residence

Macke says ammunition was stored inside the residence. The home also had a lot of clutter inside.

Fire crews stayed at the scene several hours after the blaze.

The blaze caused an estimated $75,000 in damage.

Topeka Fire Marshal Mike Martin says working smoke alarms weren’t present in the house.

___

Information from: The Topeka (Kan.) Capital-Journal, http://www.cjonline.com

AP RADIO
Update hourly