AP NEWS

Norwalk man accused of rape free on bail

January 4, 2019

STAMFORD — A Norwalk man accused of raping a longtime friend in a bathroom and taking videos of sexual encounters with other women without their knowledge has been freed on bail.

Thom Nikas, 32, of Hamilton Avenue, was released from jail this week after spending a month in the Bridgeport Correctional Center. A Stamford judge reduced his bail to $250,000 from $750,000.

Nikas was charged last month with first-degree sexual assault and voyeurism. The charges stemmed from a September complaint filed by a female friend of Nikas who said he sexually assaulted her in a Norwalk bathroom after they went out drinking at the Sign of the Whale in Stamford, according to an arrest affidavit.

The woman said they had been casual friends for eight years. The woman said she reported the incident 10 days after it happened when she realized Nikas used her phone to take partially nude pictures of her while she was passed out after the sexual assault, the affidavit said.

Police said they discovered photos of the woman Nikas sent to his computer when they searched his apartment, the affidavit said. Police said they also found videos Nikas shot of him having sex with other women without their consent, the affidavit said.

Defense attorney Philip Russell argued to Judge Richard Comerford that the sexual assault was a “date rape” allegation. While the woman told police the two never had an intimate relationship, Russell claimed they dated on and off for years.

Russell argued Nikas has strong community ties and his parents own the Putnam Diner, where he has worked. Russell said his client would give up his passport and was not a flight risk.

But State’s Attorney Richard Colangelo told the judge Nikas admitted to the sexual assault when he texted the woman the next day, saying he “didn’t mean to go that far.”

Colangelo said he also received a call from another woman who was concerned Nikas made a video of her three years ago.

The judge ordered Nikas to turn over his passport and sign a protective order prohibiting him from contacting the woman who accused him of the sexual assault.

Nikas is due back in court on Feb. 8.

jnickerson@stamfordadvocate.com

AP RADIO
Update hourly