UNC Charlotte victim takes first unassisted steps 2 weeks after deadly shooting
A UNC Charlotte student who was injured when a gunman walked into his classroom last month and opened fire took his first steps without any assistance Monday night.
Two people were killed and four others were injured on April 30. Police identified the students killed as Ellis Parlier, 19, of Midland, and Riley Howell, 21, of Waynesville.
Students were packed inside a UNCC classroom on their last day of classes when a 22-year-old suspect walked in and began shooting, NBC Charlotte reported.
Drew Pescaro was one of the four students injured that night. Family members said Pescaro has undergone two surgeries but is now alert and recovering.
On Monday, Pescaro tweeted a video that shows him taking his first steps from inside the hospital. Pescaro’s girlfriend told WRAL News that his initial steps were the first ones he has taken without the aid of a walker.
“Took my first steps without a walker today so I felt the need to share it with everyone,” Pescaro wrote.
Pescaro also thanked his mother for her constant support in a sweet Mother’s Day tribute. The post read:
“I can’t say enough about my Mom who has been supporting me through this whole process. So much time has been devoted towards getting me better and she has been at the head of all of it. I love her very much.”