95th Birthday Party Sets Off Alarm
TULSA, Okla. (AP) _ Mabel McCullough blew out all 95 candles on her birthday cake and two dozen firefighters showed up.
The smoke had triggered a fire alarm, bringing five engines and two ladder companies.
``We had just sat down to eat when we saw them in the doorway,″ said Eddi Carlin, one of the guests.
The First United Methodist Church women’s group had honored Ms. McCullough, who turns 95 on Oct. 27, with a carrot cake covered with candles.
``There wasn’t an inch to spare. By the time we had them all lit, it looked like a torch,″ Ms. Carlin said.
With some help, Ms. McCullough blew the candles out, sending a cloud of smoke wafting about a foot above the cake.
``In my 23 years on the job, I’ve seen a lot of things set off a fire alarm, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard of one going off because of a birthday cake,″ said Fire Chief Lonnie Lamb.
Firefighters did not stay for birthday cake, but did pose for pictures with Ms. McCullough.