LITCHFIELD, N.H. (AP) — New Hampshire authorities say a gasoline-powered generator in the basement of a home led to the carbon monoxide poisoning death of a Litchfield man.

Jamie Badeau died and a woman was sickened July 12. The state fire marshal's office said Thursday that Badeau had been using a portable generator in his basement after his electricity had been shut off.

Authorities are reminding residents that gasoline-powered equipment should not be used inside any structure, and when used outside, should be at least 10 feet away from any buildings, with the exhaust pointed away from doors, windows or openings.