Related topics

Israeli Arab Says Police Beat because He Dated Jewish Solider

May 24, 1987

TEL AVIV, Israel (AP) _ A 23-year-old Israeli Arab accused police of beating him brutally when they discovered he had a Jewish soldier girlfriend, Israel radio said Sunday.

Police spokesman Yehuda Bachar said in a telephone interview that senior police officials would begin investigating the accusations Monday. Bachar said the two policemen accused in the beating denied the charges.

The accusation came as a two-man committee appointed by Prime Minister Yitzhak Shamir was about to launch an investigation into the interrogation methods of Shin Bet, which is responsible for Isrtael’s internal security.

The investigation followed charges that Shin Bet agents use brutality and torture to interrogate Palestinian suspects.

There have also been reports recently of police brutality.

The Arab, identified only by the initials Y.K., said on Israel radio that police detained him early Wednesday after he spent two hours with his girlfriend. The girlfriend, whose name was not released, is stationed at a military base at Ben Gurion International Airport near Tel Aviv, the radio said.

Haaretz newspaper on Sunday published a photograph of Y.K.’s back, showing bruises and hemmorhages. The reporter said Y.K. showed him a hospital report issued Wednesday which indicated he had been beaten.

Bachar said Y.K. was a known criminal with convictions on drugs and morals charges. He gave no details of the convictions, but said Y.K.’s waiting four days before complaining about the beatings cast doubt on his story.

Y.K. said on the radio he was detained while trying to hitchhike to his home in Jaffa, just south of Tel Aviv, and was taken in handcuffs to the police station near the airport terminal.

He said two policemen beat and humiliated him during the next five hours.

″One of the policemen brought a cup of yogurt, put it in the toilet bowl, urinated into it and told me to drink it. ... (When I refused) I was beaten mercilessly with a club,″ Y.K. said.

He said after he refused to drink water mixed with cigarette butts, ash, coffee dregs and urine, ″they hit me again, kicked me in the stomach, the legs, and clubbed me on the head and nose.″

Y.K. said he was released after five hours.

Update hourly