Two Die In Car Sold For 99 Cents
ORTONVILLE, Mich. (AP) _ A young man and woman died of apparent asphyxiation from exhaust fumes in a car the man had bought five days earlier for 99 cents, authorities say.
The bodies of William Hishke, 20, and Nichola Davis, 18, both of Brandon Township near Ortonville, were found Saturday in Hishke’s 1968 Buick Skylark parked along a rural road, the Oakland County Sheriff’s Department said.
The car had no tail pipe and had several small holes in the trunk, the sheriff’s department said. Hishke and Ms. Davis apparently died of asphyxiation after exhaust fumes filled the passenger compartment, the department said.
″I thought (the car) was a piece of junk,″ Hishke’s mother, Mable, said Tuesday. ″But he liked it and I was happy for him.″
Mrs. Hishke said the car was the first her son had ever owned. She said he waited overnight at Flannery Ford in Waterford Township in order to buy the car, which was one of a number on sale May 13 ″as is″ for 99 cents .
″He came home ... and told his mother he was going to spend the night in the car because part of the sales gimmick was that you had to be seated behind the wheel of the car you wanted by 1 o’clock (May 13), when the deal was closed,″ said Hishke’s father, Bill Hishke.
Ms. Davis’ father, Joseph, said, ″The state allows those beat-up old cars on the road, and nobody does anything about it.″
An employee of Flannery Ford referred a call about the deaths to attorney Carl Ranno of Birmingham. Ranno said he didn’t know details about the case.
″But it’s obviously not the intent at Flannery to sell anything that will injure anyone,″ he said.