AP NEWS

Accused girlfriend killer wants more time

September 4, 2018

BRIDGEPORT -Oscar “Ziggy” Hernandez wants more time.

Although it’s been 18 months since police said the 39-year-old undocumented immigrant fatally stabbed his girlfriend, seriously wounded her best friend and fled the state with their 6-year-old daughter, Hernandez told a judge on Tuesday he isn’t ready to go to trial.

“I’m not emotionally stable to go on trial…I have no information, I don’t know what the case is about, the only thing I’ve seen are pictures,” Hernandez said. He asked for at least another 90 days.

But Senior Assistant State’s Attorney Joseph Corradino retorted that not only has Hernandez, through his public defender, been given all the state’s documents in the case but Hernandez was also in the courtroom when the eye witness told her story to a video camera in an earlier deposition.

“Jury selection is scheduled to begin tomorrow and will begin tomorrow,” Superior Court Judge Kevin Russo ruled.

Hernandez is charged with murder, attempted murder, first-degree assault and risk of injury to a minor.

He had been living with his girlfriend, 26-year-old Nidia “Yubi” Gonzalez, and their 6-year-old daughter Aylin, in a small, two-bedroom basement apartment on Greenwood Street when in the early morning of Feb. 24, 2017, police said Hernandez fatally stabbed Gonzalez in a jealous rage and wounded her friend.

Hernandez then fled with his daughter leading police on a three-state pursuit before finally crashing in central Pennsylvania.

Hernandez was previously convicted of choking an estranged wife in their apartment in 2008 on Stamford’s East Side. Hernandez was convicted three years later and deported in 2013.

But authorities said he illegally returned to the U.S.

AP RADIO
Update hourly