Jones Told To Hand Over Documents
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (AP) _ Paula Corbin Jones must turn over 103 more pages of documents from a legal fund for her sexual harassment suit against President Clinton, a judge ruled.
Documents involving trial strategy and settlement negotiations could be kept secret, but documents involving fund raising, public relations strategy and tax returns must be turned over, judge Susan Webber Wright ruled Thursday.
Clinton’s attorneys want the fund-raising records to back their claim that Mrs. Jones is suing only for personal financial gain.
Wright previously said Clinton’s lawyers could not have the names of Mrs. Jones’ contributors but should be told the number of contributors, amounts raised and any communications with donors about the legal fund’s operation.
The ruling settled a dispute on whether scores of Mrs. Jones’ legal fund documents should be shared or whether they were covered by attorney-client privilege and exempt from scrutiny by Clinton’s lawyers.
Wright told Mrs. Jones’ lawyers to turn over the documents no later than 1 p.m. Monday.
Cindy Hays, who once ran Mrs. Jones’ legal fund, was scheduled to give a deposition Tuesday.
Clinton’s lawyers used information they received from the fund previously to claim that some of the money paid for clothes, hairstyling, pet boarding, public relations and other personal items unrelated to her legal bills.
That led the Virginia-based Rutherford Institute, which has undertaken fund raising on Mrs. Jones’ behalf, to pledge today that it will pay for only Mrs. Jones’ ``documented legal expenses and court costs.″
In her $700,000 lawsuit, Mrs. Jones claims Clinton exposed himself and asked her for oral sex in a Little Rock hotel room on May 8, 1991, when he was Arkansas governor and she was a state employee.
Clinton denies the charge and says he does not recall ever meeting Mrs. Jones. A trial is set for May 27.