AP NEWS
Related topics

Investigation, DNA testing ongoing in JonBenet Ramsey case

April 3, 1997

BOULDER, Colo. (AP) _ DNA testing in the JonBenet Ramsey murder case finally began this week after her parents decided not to sent their own expert to watch the tests, a city spokeswoman said today.

Testing at Cellmark Diagnostics is expected to take up to six weeks.

``They test and retest,″ Boulder spokeswoman Leslie Aaholm said. ``It doesn’t mean anything is wrong with the testing.″

The slain beauty queen’s parents, John and Patricia Ramsey, were considering sending their own representative to oversee the testing at the Germantown, Md., laboratory, but their attorneys later decided it would be unnecessary. The lab had received crime scene material on March 4.

Following the Ramseys’ decision not to participate, the testing got under way earlier this week.

As the investigation approached its 100th day Friday, no arrests have been made and no suspects have been idetified.

Police still have not interviewed the Ramseys, and the two sides have not agreed on conditions for a formal interview.

``Conversations continue but nothing has been scheduled,″ Aaholm said.

A spokeswoman for the Ramseys, Rachelle Zimmer, did not immediately return telephone calls seeking comment.

In responding to criticism over the amount of time that has lapsed since the start of the investigation, Aaholm said, ``These kinds of cases take a long time. ... There’s a lot of material to go through.″

John Ramsey found his 6-year-old daughter’s body in the basement of the family’s upscale Boulder home on Dec. 26, authorities have said. The girl had been strangled and beaten and an autopsy report later indicated she may have been sexually abused.

Aaholm said weekly scheduled news briefings will be suspended for lack of compelling new information and any further briefings will be called only when police want to announce ``significant developments.″

AP RADIO
Update hourly