Texas firefighters had to battle something unusual last week: explosive tortilla chips.
“Tortilla chips are big business around these parts,” the Austin Fire Department wrote in a Facebook post. “We take them seriously, as they are responsible for holding all manner of very important things -- like queso, salsa, nachos, and various other sundry items that are critical to a Texan’s everyday life and well-being.”
So the department was quite “distressed” when they had to respond to a fire at a tortilla chip factory...“not once, but twice!” they wrote.
“Several of our B-shift crews responded to 6110 Trade Center Drive for the spontaneous combustion of tortilla chips. Yes, you read that right. Spontaneous combustion. Of tortilla chips,” the post continues.
The Austin Fire Department explained that the factory was working on a new method to get rid of waste and “suffice it to say, didn’t work out so well.” Large cardboard boxes filled with the chips continued to ignite. Once that fire was put out, there was another one just three days later for the same reason.
The firefighters eventually drowned all the crates that had yet to burn and “eliminated the risk completely.”
Despite sadly losing a truckload of tortilla chips, no one was hurt in either incident.