Third dolphin dies at Arizona site since its 2016 opening
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. (AP) — A third dolphin has died at an Arizona aquatic facility since it opened in 2016.
An Atlantic bottlenose dolphin died Sunday after a chronic illness at Scottsdale-area Dolphinaris Arizona, facility officials said in a statement posted Monday on its website.
The dolphin, named Khloe, was 11 years old.
Facility General Manager Christian Schaeffer called the death “an extremely sad day” for the facility and its staff.
Before Khloe came to the facility in 2016, she struggled with a chronic illness caused by a parasite called Sarcocystis, Schaeffer said. The infection weakens the immune system and causes damage to muscles and the central nervous system.
“Her condition has been managed with exceptional veterinary care for nearly six years as we called on dolphin experts globally to determine treatments that extended her life,” he said.
Khloe is the third dolphin to die at the facility since it opened in 2016 with eight bottlenose dolphins.
Bodie, a 7-year-old, died from a rare muscle disease, according to facility officials. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration released a report saying the dolphin died of a fungal infection.
Alia, a 10-year-old dolphin, died of an acute bacterial infection.