AP NEWS

Fire starts in Rose Villa apartment

November 28, 2018

A fire started in one of the units at the Rose Villa Apartments after a tenant left a frying pan unattended in the 2000 block of Northeast Stephens Street Tuesday afternoon.

Firefighters from the Roseburg Fire Department responded to the apartment fire around 3 p.m. and found heavy smoke and flames showing inside of an apartment.

Firefighters checked the structure for occupants and quickly extinguished the fire, according to Fire Marshal Monte Bryan.

John Dow, the tenant whose apartment caught fire, said the incident began as a grease fire while he was cooking french fries in his apartment.

He hadn’t been inside to see the damage and sat with fellow residents in the grass while firefighters dragged hose into the building.

Dow said the smoke was bad, but when he saw the fire it was still about two feet wide.

Fire officials said the fire was contained to the kitchen, but the structure sustained approximately $10,000 in damage.

AP RADIO
Update hourly