Related topics

Police say gun found in search of property

May 19, 1997

BIG BEAR, Calif. (AP) _ WBO super flyweight champion Johnny Tapia was arrested in California on a charge of being a felon in possession of a weapon, but his attorney says the boxer didn’t know two guns were in an apartment where they were found.

Authorities on Sunday confirmed Tapia was arrested Thursday night. His attorney, Jerry Walz of Albuquerque, said he was released that night on a $15,000 bond.

Tapia and IBF super flyweight champion Danny Romero are scheduled for a July 18 fight in Las Vegas to unify the titles. Walz said Monday that Top Rank, co-promoter for the fight, ``has taken the position the fight is still on, and they’re supporting Johnny 100 percent.″

The weapons were registered to Tapia’s wife, Teresa, and were found in an apartment owned by the Tapias but separate from their house, Walz said. The apartment is occupied by one of Mrs. Tapia’s brothers, Robert Gutierrez, he said.

``Teresa had placed them there and Johnny was not aware of their location,″ he said. ``This is a very, very technical charge brought against him.″

Walz also said Big Bear sheriff’s deputies knew Mrs. Tapia had a weapon. He said they had returned a gun registered to her 4 1/2 weeks ago after it was found in the glove box of vehicle driven by another brother arrested on drunken driving charge.

He said California authorities gave the ``felon in possession of a weapon″ statute a very broad interpretation since no weapon was found on Tapia.

``It was not on (Johnny’s) person or in his vehicle,″ he said.

Rob Ciolli, a corporal in the Big Bear Lake Sheriff’s Department, said Sunday a probation-and-parole sweep of the Big Bear area Thursday turned up a firearm on Tapia’s property.

Ciolli said it was unlikely California law enforcement authorities would pursue the matter.

``We searched his house because he was on probation in New Mexico,″ Ciolli said. ``It’s probably up to New Mexico whether they want to do anything about it.″

Tapia is on probation in New Mexico for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. His probation ends July 19, according to district court records. He pleaded guilty to the charge on Oct. 16, 1995.

As a convicted felon, he loses the right to possess firearms.

Update hourly