Related topics

Fight Over Trooper’s Gun Leaves Soldier Dead, Another Injured

November 10, 1987

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) _ One Army soldier was killed by a gunshot and another was wounded when they fought with a New Jersey state trooper who was trying to arrest them on drug charges, authorities said today.

Authorities said one of the soldiers grabbed the trooper’s gun from its holster and pointed it in his face. The trooper suffered cuts and bruises from being kicked and beaten, they said.

According to a state police report, Trooper Stephen Parisi stopped a car for speeding on the New Jersey Turnpike late Monday.

Parisi said he saw the car’s driver reach under the seat and his passenger reach into the glove compartment.

After both men were taken from the car and searched, Parisi found a small quantity of marijuana and pills under the seat and in the glove compartment, state police said.

Parisi was arresting the men for possession of controlled dangerous substances when the driver, about to be handcuffed, knocked the trooper to the ground, state police said.

The two soldiers then kicked and punched Parisi while he lay on the ground and beat him with his flashlight, state police allege.

The trooper and soldiers then wrestled over the gun and several shots were fired, one hitting the passenger in the right leg and another striking the driver in the chest, state police said.

Liz Sergeant, a spokeswoman at Aberdeen Proving Ground in Maryland, where both men were based, identified them as Sgt. Angelo Morton of Richmond, Va., and Staff Sgt. Leroy Carter Jr. of Montgomery, Ala., both 26.

Morton died at University Hospital in Newark, and Carter was listed in fair condition with a gunshot wound to the knee, said a hospital spokeswoman who refused to give her name.

Ms. Sergeant said Morton had been at Aberdeen since September and was in training to be a tracked vehicle repair instructor. Carter was a supply sergeant at Aberdeen, where he has been based since March, she said.

Parisi was treated at St. James Hospital in Newark for cuts and bruises to the head, face, leg and hand, and was released, said hospital spokesman George Norvila.

Update hourly