Related topics

$5 Million Settlement Of Wrongful Death Suit Off, Priscilla Davis Says

January 5, 1988

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) _ A $5 million settlement is off between bankrupt oil heir T. Cullen Davis and his ex-wife Priscilla Davis in a wrongful death suit, Ms. Davis and her lawyer say.

″There is no deal,″ Ms. Davis said Monday during a meeting of the Fort Worth chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists, Sigma Delta Chi. ″There is no settlement. It was not filed.″

″Unfortunately, they (Cullen Davis’ lawyers) chose to go to the press. By doing that, they violated the agreement,″ she continued. ″We’re going back to court. The end of the movie has not been written yet.″

Ms. Davis, who spoke at the meeting about her plans to write a book and sell a screenplay about her life, had filed a personal injury and wrongful death suit against her ex-husband in connection with shootings at the Davis mansion on Aug. 2, 1976.

A man dressed in black shot to death Andrea Wilborn, 12, Priscilla’s daughter from a previous marriage, and Stan Farr, a former Texas Christian University basketball player who was identified as Priscilla’s lover.

Ms. Davis and a house guest, Gus ″Bubba″ Gavrel, were wounded in the shooting spree.

Ms. Davis, Gavrel and another witness, Beverly Bass, all identified Cullen Davis as the man in black. But Cullen Davis was acquitted in the Wilborn slaying in a 1977 trial in Amarillo.

A civil court jury in Fort Worth last year deadlocked 8-4 against Cullen Davis in a $16.5 million suit brought by Ms. Davis and Andrea’s father, Jack Wilborn.

Davis, once listed as one of the world’s wealthiest men, filed for bankruptcy and was relieved of $850 million in debts in U.S. Bankruptcy Court on Dec. 2.

On Dec. 16, Eddie Roush Jr., a lawyer for Cullen Davis, announced that a $5 million settlement had been reached with Ms. Davis.

David Burrows, a lawyer who represents Ms. Davis, confirmed that he has notified Roush that he would have to either convince him and his client that they can honor the contract or the case would be tried again.

″This is somewhat unfortunate because we want it settled and we were satisfied with the terms,″ Burrows said. ″I can’t talk about terms of the agreement because that was part of the deal.″

Roush could not be reached Monday night for comment, the Fort Worth Star- Telegram reported today.

Update hourly