GOLETA, Calif. (AP) — The Latest on the wildfires around the West (all times local):
Three people have been arrested for allegedly starting a Colorado wildfire by leaving an unauthorized campfire unattended.
The Teller County Sheriff’s Office says Monday that 23-year-old David Renfrow, 19-year-old Kegan Owens and a 17-year-old boy were arrested in connection with a fire that has destroyed at least eight homes. It’s not clear if they have lawyers yet.
The Chateau Fire in the state’s south central mountains has burned about 2 square miles (5 square kilometers) but all evacuated residents have been allowed to return home.
It’s one of 10 large wildfires in Colorado. The largest, the Spring Creek Fire, has destroyed over 130 homes and is 70 percent contained.
A fire pit that wasn’t completely extinguished is suspected of starting that 168 square mile (435 square kilometer) fire.
Crews have gained some ground against a deadly wildfire burning on the California-Oregon state line that killed a man and injured three firefighters.
California fire officials say the blaze is 30 percent contained as of Monday morning.
The fire, one of many in the drought-ridden U.S. West, killed one person in their home and destroyed 72 structures.
It also injured three firefighters, including one who had severe burns to his face and had to be hospitalized.
CalFire says the firefighter was released Sunday from UC Davis hospital burn center in California.
The blaze that started Thursday near the community of Hornbrook has scorched 55 square miles (142 square kilometers). It jumped into Oregon over the weekend.
Authorities say a wildfire that shut down Interstate 580 in the San Francisco Bay Area on Sunday night is fully contained and all lanes have reopened.
The battle against wildfires goes on across the West, but there is good news from one community scorched by flames.
The last mandatory evacuation orders have been lifted in the Goleta area of Southern California where a small but destructive fire burned during the weekend.
Santa Barbara County authorities say residents were allowed back into the area Sunday evening, although firefighters continued to work on hotspots and not all electricity had been restored.
An assessment of the burn area found that 13 single-family homes were destroyed, three homes were damaged, and 15 barns, workshops and sheds were lost.