Oasis Cancels Show in Philippines
%mlink(STRY:; PHOTO:NYET150-102102; AUDIO:%)
MANILA, Philippines (AP) _ The British rock group Oasis canceled its concert in the Philippines after a spate of deadly bombings in the country and in Indonesia.
The band was scheduled to perform Wednesday at the Araneta Coliseum in suburban Quezon City.
``Due to recent terrorist attacks in both Bali and the Philippines, Oasis has regretfully decided not to play its show in Manila on Wednesday,″ the band’s British agent, Ben Winchester, said in a statement released Monday by Midas Promotion.
The statement said, ``The band did not wish to perform a show under the extreme security precautions that would have to be taken in order to guarantee crowd and band safety.″
Midas Promotion said negotiations are ongoing for a new concert date, and that ticket-holders should wait for an announcement.
So far this month, six bombs have killed at least 21 people and wounded more than 200 others in the Philippines. One of them ripped through a passenger bus in metropolitan Manila on Friday, killing two people and injuring 20, police said.
On Sunday night, a bomb explosion killed a Filipino soldier and injured 18 other people at a Roman Catholic shrine in the port city of Zamboanga, about 530 miles south of Manila.
An Oct. 12 bomb blast at a night club in Bali, Indonesia, killed nearly 200 people, mostly Western tourists.
Oasis became wildly popular in the mid-1990s. The group’s 1995 album ``(What’s the Story) Morning Glory?″ debuted at No. 1 in the United Kingdom and became the second-best selling album in British history.