AP NEWS

Trial date set for foster dad accused of sex abuse

March 23, 2019

HUNTINGTON — A judge has set a trial date for a Barboursville man accused of sexually abusing two minors who were in his custody as a foster parent from May to July 2018.

During an arraignment hearing Friday, Cabell County Circuit Court Judge Gregory Howard set Aug. 20 as the trial date for Dillard Duane Henline Jr., 50. Howard also set an Aug. 7 pretrial hearing, asking lawyers to be prepared to argue any motions on that date.

Henline was indicted by a Cabell County grand jury earlier this month on 38 total charges - eight counts of first-degree sexual assault, 19 counts of sexual abuse by parent, guardian or person in a position of trust to a child and 11 counts of first-degree sexual abuse.

According to the criminal complaint filed in Cabell County Magistrate Court, two girls, ages 10 and 7 at the time of the alleged crimes, told representatives from the Children’s Advocacy Center in a forensic interview they were sexually abused and assaulted while in the care of foster parents.

Both victims disclosed the incidents occurred at Henline’s residence on Lucky Lane in Barboursville while they were under his care as a foster father and while the foster mother was out. The victims described several incidents of forced sexual contact, which they said Henline described as “special treatment,” according to the complaint.

Henline is being represented by Cabell County public defenders Michelle Protzman and Russ Cook. The case is being led by Cabell County Assistant Prosecuting Attorney Joe Fincham.

Travis Crum is a reporter for The Herald-Dispatch. He may be reached by phone at 304-526-2801.