AP NEWS
Related topics

FDNY: Candle started blaze that killed girl, 16, injured 2

December 29, 2018

NEW YORK (AP) — Fire marshals have determined that an unattended candle accidentally started a Queens apartment blaze that killed a teenage girl and seriously injured her mother and a neighbor.

The Fire Department tweeted the finding Friday, adding that the home had no smoke alarm.

The fire broke out Wednesday night in an apartment on Merrick Boulevard. It’s in the St. Albans neighborhood, about 3 miles (5 km) from Kennedy Airport.

Authorities said 16-year-old Lamonies Smith, her mother and the neighbor were found on the third floor. The girl was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Her 56-year-old mother was taken to a hospital in critical condition. The neighbor, a 76-year-old woman, was hospitalized in serious condition.

AP RADIO
Update hourly