Mom of girl who died in foster care dies, overdose suspected
WORCESTER, Mass. (AP) — Authorities in Massachusetts say the mother of a 2-year-old girl who died in foster care last month has died of a suspected drug overdose.
Police say officers were called to a Worcester apartment around 3 p.m. Wednesday for an unresponsive female inside. She was taken to UMass Memorial Medical Center where she was later pronounced dead.
The woman was identified as 27-year-old Jessica Conway, the mother of Avalena Conway-Coxon.
Conway-Coxon died after she was discovered unresponsive at an apartment complex in Auburn on Aug. 15. Authorities haven’t released a cause of death for the child.
Police believe Conway’s death may be drug-related based on evidence in the apartment and information from family members. The exact cause of death is pending until the completion of an autopsy and toxicology tests.