JG takes 12 awards in statewide contest
The Journal Gazette won 12 awards, including recognition for public service and enterprise reporting, in the Indiana Associated Press Media Editors news and photo contest.
The awards were presented during a banquet Friday in Indianapolis.
Newspaper staffers who won awards:
• Sherry Slater: First Place in Best Business Writing for “Builder’s Electric Enthusiasm.”
• Karen Francisco: First place in Best Column.
• Dylan Sinn: Second place in Best Deadline Sports Story for “Irish season over in a flash.”
• Karen Francisco: Second place in Best Editorial Writer
• Matthew LeBlanc, Ashley Sloboda and Karen Francisco: Second place in Best Spot News Coverage for April Tinsley coverage involving arrest in 30-year-old child abduction/slaying.
• Ryan DuVall: Third place in Best Column.
• Corey McMaken: Third place in Best Feature Writing for “Presidents Come Alive.”
• Victoria Jacobsen: Third place in Best Non-Deadline Sports Story for “Jets have kicker they can count on.”
• Terri Richardson: Third place in Best Public Service for “Controlling cat population.”
• Rachel Von: Third place in Best Spot News Photo for “Firefighters battle blaze on Maumee Avenue.”
• The Journal Gazette staff took second place in Best Public Service for its “Secure at School” special series and third place in Best Enterprise Reporting for its series of stories on the April Tinsley case.