AP NEWS
Related topics

Children escape when Christmas lights lead to roof fire

December 23, 2018

SHAWNEE, Kan. (AP) — Three children and their baby sitter escaped a fire at a Shawnee home that started when Christmas lights ignited leaves in a gutter.

The Kansas City Star reports the fire was reported about 2:30 p.m. Friday when lights ignited leaves and flames spread to wood shake shingles.

After hearing a crackling sound, one of the children looked out a window and saw the roof had caught fire.

The children, ages 4, 6 and 14, and their baby sitter escaped and called 911.

Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and were able to save the family’s Christmas tree and presents.

The fire caused about $40,000 in damage.

___

Information from: The Kansas City Star, http://www.kcstar.com

AP RADIO
Update hourly