Dickson City To Accept Police Chief’s Resignation Tuesday, Borough Manager Says

October 11, 2018

Dickson City borough council plans to accept Police Chief Stephen Margeson’s resignation Tuesday, Borough Manager Cesare Forconi said. At an executive session during this week’s borough council meeting, Margeson told council that he plans to leave the department Oct. 26. Right now, there are no plans to search outside of the department for a new leader, as the borough did to hire Margeson and former Chief Michael Resetar, of Toms River, New Jersey, who resigned in December 2016 after just six months on the job. Margeson’s resignation comes less than two years after council hired him to run the police force in the hopes he would mentor officers and bring stability to a department which had just seen the resignation of two chiefs in one year — William Bilinski, now an officer, in January 2016, and then Resetar by the end of the year. It also comes as the department and borough has weathered scrutiny over a questionable overtime practice employed by roughly a half-dozen police officers that allowed them to boost the amount of hours they could claim for showing up at off-duty court appearances. That practice, which leveraged vague language in a labor contract, had been ongoing before Margeson came on board in March of 2017, while Officer Michael Fredericks served as officer in charge, but did continue during Margeson’s tenure as chief, even though Fredericks remained the one signing the dubious court pay slips. Dickson City also hopes to have sorted out by Tuesday the department’s new leadership. Forconi said that no decision has yet been finalized on who will take the reins or what the title could be — officer in charge or acting chief. A message left for Margeson was not immediately returned. Margeson’s salary came to $73,000 per year and said shortly before he was sworn in that he planned to use his position to prepare officers for future leadership roles. Dickson City was his latest stop in a roughly 40-year law enforcement career, which has included 26 years as chief of the Carlisle Police Department and eight years as chief of police in Wellsville, New York. Check back for updates. Contact the writer: jkohut@timesshamrock.com, 570-348-9144; @jkohutTT on Twitter.

Update hourly