Related topics

Fire in Mass. house displaces 6

September 30, 2013

SPRINGFIELD, Mass. (AP) — A fire that started in the kitchen of a two-family house has displaced six people in Springfield.

The Springfield Republican reports (bit.ly/15DD0g1) that the fire began around 6:30 p.m. Sunday. It was reported by tenants who saw smoke coming from the second floor windows.

Fire Department spokesman Dennis Leger says the blaze started in the second floor kitchen, causing about $25,000 in damage. He says most of the damage was on the second floor but that water leaked down to the first floor, preventing the residents from returning to the house immediately.

The Pioneer Valley Chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the residents who’ve been displaced.

The fire is being investigated.


Information from: The Springfield (Mass.) Republican, http://www.masslive.com/news/

Update hourly