Serb Cops Issue Arkan Warrants
BELGRADE, Yugoslavia (AP) _ Police issued arrest warrants Wednesday for two more suspects in the gangland-style execution of Serbia’s notorious warlord Zeljko Raznatovic, also known as Arkan.
Dragan Nikolic, 33, and Milan Djuricic, 28, are the subject of an ``intensive search,″ according to a police statement carried by the official Tanjug news agency. The statement did not say what their alleged roles were in the assassination.
Arkan, who was killed Jan. 15 in a hotel lobby, was the leading figure in Serbia’s underworld and had close ties to President Slobodan Milosevic’s police. His paramilitary troops, which fought on the Serb side in the Croatian and Bosnian wars, have been accused of committing atrocities. Last year, Arkan was indicted by the U.N. war crimes tribunal in The Hague, Netherlands.
Since Arkan’s death, the country has abounded with rumors that Milosevic’s security service killed the Serb warlord because he knew too much. There has also been speculation that Arkan had offered to testify against Milosevic before the tribunal.
Last weekend, police announced they had captured three suspects in Arkan’s killing, including the alleged hitman, a former policeman.
But the government-run Politika daily claimed Tuesday that the organizers had fled the country. The private daily Blic said without attribution the top figures in the killing were in a ``Western European country, and out of reach of our police.″
Another newspaper, Glas, said that the most likely organizers were two ``businessmen″ from Belgrade who had lost large sums of money because of Arkan. Glas added police would likely come out with the names of the suspected organizers soon.