Related topics

Elderly man, woman, and dog die in Mississippi house fire

October 1, 2018

GULFPORT, Miss. (AP) — Officials say an elderly couple and a dog have died in a Mississippi house fire.

Gulfport Fire Chief Mike Beyerstedt tells news outlets the man and the woman died in the fire at a mobile home. The fire department was contacted Monday morning about the blaze that apparently started overnight in the living room.

The chief says the flames had burned out by the time firefighters arrived. The couple appeared to have been overcome by toxic fumes from the fire.

Beyerstedt says his department knew the couple as firefighters had responded at the home several times for health issues. He says the home’s smoke detectors weren’t functioning.

Harrison County Coroner Gary Hargrove will provide the couple’s names when their family is notified.

The department and the state fire marshal are investigating.

Update hourly