Paper: Ramseys Settle With Tabloid
BOULDER, Colo. (AP) _ John and Patsy Ramsey have settled a lawsuit against a supermarket tabloid over stories that suggested their teen-age son molested and killed his sister.
Terms of the settlement with the Globe were not disclosed, the Daily Camera newspaper of Boulder reported Thursday.
The Ramseys filed the $35 million lawsuit in Atlanta last May against Globe International Inc., saying the false November 1998 headlines and stories subjected Burke Ramsey, now 14, to public hatred, contempt and ridicule and permanently damaged his reputation.
Six-year-old JonBenet Ramsey was found beaten and strangled in her family’s home Dec. 26, 1996. No one has been arrested.
Court clerks said the amount and terms of the settlement were sealed under a confidentiality agreement.
Lin Wood, a Ramsey lawyer, said Wednesday he could not comment other than to say, ``The parties are pleased with the resolution.″
Globe publisher Tony Frost declined comment.
The Ramseys have filed several other libel suits against media organizations and book publishers. Last year, the couple settled a $25 million lawsuit against the supermarket tabloid the Star for linking Burke to JonBenet’s death.
Wood said he plans other lawsuits on behalf of the Ramseys.
The Ramseys themselves have been the targets of at least two libel lawsuits stemming from their book about the case, ``The Death of Innocence.″ Last month, a federal judge ruled a lawsuit could go forward by a former reporter who was named as a possible suspect in the book.
The parents remain under Boulder police suspicion. The couple deny killing their daughter, saying an unidentified intruder is responsible for the death.