Fugitive sought for months captured in MC

October 10, 2018

MICHIGAN CITY – A woman who was the subject of a five-month manhunt across three states, and taunted authorities on social media while on the run, was captured in Michigan City after falling for a trap set by police.

Tiesha Monique Moore, 31, was taken into custody just after 5 p.m. Monday by the Twin Cities Apprehension Team with the help of Michigan City Police, according to authorities. She had a total of 16 outstanding warrants at the time of her arrest, all from Stearns and Benton counties in Minnesota.

Among the charges Moore faces are felony counts of criminal damage to property, domestic assault, theft, aiding and abetting financial transaction card fraud, wrongfully obtaining assistance by false statement, impersonation or concealment, and DWI; and several misdemeanor charges, according to a statement from TCAT lead investigator Stew Peters.

Authorities “followed up on dozens of anonymous tips provided to our agency’s tip line after soliciting the help of the public in locating the most-wanted fugitive, who had presumably left the state of Minnesota,” Peters said.

Michigan City Police Sgt. Chris Yagelski said Minnesota authorities used a local informant to help with the arrest.

“The informant used the Internet to get her to meet them in Michigan City. They were supposed to meet at Walmart, but it appeared she got spooked and went to the gas station instead.”

Police had blocked off nearby roads and were waiting. They immediately surrounded her vehicle and took her into custody, Yagelski said.

“It went real smooth and easy,” he said. Three Michigan City officers and a K9 unit were on hand “just in case,” but did not take part in the arrest.

“Throughout the investigation, Moore taunted investigators on social media by commenting on Facebook about how she would ‘never be caught’,” Peters said.

Investigators searched multiple residences in Minnesota, North Dakota and Indiana, he said, “before bail investigators ultimately ended Moore’s run from law enforcement.”

The first warrant was issued on June 8 after she failed to appear for a hearing. That failure to appear led to forfeiture of several surety bonds posted on Moore’s behalf. TCAT investigators took over the case on Sept. 24 after Moore was placed on the Most Wanted List for Stearns County.

Yagelski said Moore often used identification belonging to her sister to avoid arrest. She had been stopped in Michigan City prior to Monday, but was not arrested because of the false identification she provided.

She is being held by the Indiana Department of Corrections awaiting extradition to Minnesota.

Update hourly