AP NEWS
Related topics

Strawberry Begins Cancer Tests

July 31, 2000

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) _ Darryl Strawberry, who learned last week that his cancer was no longer in remission, began a battery of tests Monday to determine if the disease has spread.

The suspended New York Yankees outfielder was diagnosed with colon cancer in October 1998 and underwent surgery. He revealed last week that there was a recurrence, this time in his lymph nodes.

The 39-year-old outfielder is scheduled for more tests Tuesday with doctors trying to learn whether the cancer has spread to other parts of his body.

Meanwhile, a corrections official said an investigation into whether Strawberry violated probation by leaving his drug aftercare program and visiting a nightclub will continue.

Joe Papy, regional director of the Florida Department of Corrections, said the eight-time All-Star still must submit to three drug tests per week, even as he begins his latest battle with cancer.

Strawberry, who pleaded no contest in April 1999 to charges of possessing cocaine and soliciting a prostitute, passed another drug test Monday, Papy said.

The probation official also said officers had received a report from Sobrenity, Inc., which runs the drug aftercare program that Strawberry left two weeks ago.

Papy declined to disclose information from the treatment provider’s report, but did say it corroborated some of the answers Strawberry gave to officers questioning him about why he left the program early.

``It seems he was forthright,″ Papy said.

Investigators also plan to contact witnesses Strawberry said accompanied him to a South Florida club where patrons may drink _ but not purchase _ alcohol.

Terms of the slugger’s probation forbid him to use drugs, drink alcohol and frequent establishments where the main source of income is alcohol.

Strawberry began serving the third drug-related suspension of his career in February. He wrote commissioner Bud Selig several weeks to ask that the year-long ban be cut short.

AP RADIO
Update hourly