Comcast NBCUniversal Celebrates 18th Annual Comcast Cares Day
PHILADELPHIA--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 2, 2019--On Saturday, May 4 th, more than 100,000 Comcast, NBCUniversal – and for the first time Sky – employees will come together with their friends, family members, and nonprofit partners to “make change happen” as part of the 18 th annual Comcast Cares Day. The tradition celebrates the company’s year-round commitment to volunteerism and service in communities across the country and around the world.
This year, volunteers will participate in approximately 1,200 projects in more than 20 countries, helping to revitalize and beautify neighborhoods, parks, gardens, and local schools; build assistive technologies; assemble care packages for schoolchildren; plant trees; facilitate coding workshops; and so much more.
“Giving back to the community is rooted in the core of Comcast’s culture,” said Brian L. Roberts, Chairman and CEO of Comcast Corporation. “Celebrating volunteerism through Comcast Cares Day year-after-year reminds us not only of our company’s history, but also empowers us to work together to help others where it’s most needed.”
National and local nonprofit organizations, like Boys & Girls Clubs of America, City Year, UnidosUS, National Urban League, Easterseals, Big Brothers Big Sisters of America, and many more, will work side-by-side with Comcast Cares Day volunteers to help beautify communities across the country. The partnerships, combined with the passion and spirit of the thousands of company employees, has enabled Comcast Cares Day to become one of the most significant corporate commitments to volunteerism in America.
“Comcast Cares Day is one of the best illustrations of our employees’ commitment and the passion they have for volunteerism and giving back to our communities,” said David L. Cohen, Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer of Comcast Corporation. “I look forward to this time each year when we come together with our community partners, friends, and families, to make a positive impact around the world.”
Since the first Comcast Cares Day in 2001, more than 1 million Comcast Cares Day volunteers have contributed over 6 million service hours to improve local communities at more than 10,000 projects around the world, and have contributed nearly $25 million in grants to participating local nonprofit partners.
Below is a sample of the projects taking place as part of this year’s Comcast Cares Day:
- Philadelphia, PA (Easterseals): Comcast engineers and technologists will team up with students and faculty from Jefferson University, STEM students from Science Leadership Academy, and Easterseals to adapt three battery-operated cars and more than 50 toys for children with disabilities.
- Marietta, GA (Military Family Support Center): Comcast will join the Cobb County Chamber of Commerce, Discovery Networks, Fourblock, the Warrior Alliance and other business and community organizations in hosting a Military Family Appreciation Day and Career Fair at the Military Family Support Center of Georgia (MFSC). The event is designed to express appreciation for the significant sacrifices military families make for our country, promote career opportunities, and invest in institutions that support the military community and will include food, music and games for kids. Volunteers on site will also paint the inside of the MFSC and spruce up the employee break room.
- Colorado Springs, CO (Boys & Girls Club of the Pikes Peak Region): Jocelyne and Monique Lamoureux, American Gold Medalists and members of the US Olympic Women’s Hockey team, will join local and national Comcast leaders and Colorado Springs youth for an afternoon of leadership and athletic development activities for kids at the Boys & Girls Club of the Pikes Peak Region, Tutt Club.
- Bronx, NY (Public School 75 “The School of Research & Discovery”): In partnership with City Year, NBC 4 and Telemundo 47 employees will join volunteers to renovate a local public school and revitalize the school yard through activities like painting walls, decorating the new school logo, and designing graphics and games on the playground. Volunteers will also construct benches and tables for students.
- Chicago, IL (Cradles to Crayons): Volunteers will help support Cradles to Crayons’ efforts to assist local disadvantaged students by writing back-to-school letters of support and encouragement and assembling care packages with gently-used clothing, assembling hygiene kits, and cleaning toys and shoes.
- Paradise, CA (Paradise High School): Hundreds of volunteers will clean, paint, plant trees, landscape and beautify the Paradise High School campus ahead of the high school’s graduation in June, the first one since last year’s devastating Camp Fire.
- London, UK (Solidarity Sports): Sky employees will partner with Solidarity Sports, a nonprofit that hosts hundreds of children from disadvantaged backgrounds to create a safe, open-minded, and inclusive environment through arts, sports, mentoring programs, and educational trips. Volunteers will spend the day working with children to help develop leadership and teamwork skills.
Comcast NBCUniversal is working to make a positive impact in our communities through volunteerism and supporting local nonprofits and community partners. Since 2001, Comcast has donated nearly $5.9 billion in cash and in-kind contributions to nonprofit organizations and charitable partners across the country.
About Comcast Corporation
Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA) is a global media and technology company with three primary businesses: Comcast Cable, NBCUniversal, and Sky. Comcast Cable is one of the United States’ largest video, high-speed internet, and phone providers to residential customers under the Xfinity brand, and also provides these services to businesses. It also provides wireless and security and automation services to residential customers under the Xfinity brand. NBCUniversal is global and operates news, entertainment and sports cable networks, the NBC and Telemundo broadcast networks, television production operations, television station groups, Universal Pictures, and Universal Parks and Resorts. Sky is one of Europe’s leading media and entertainment companies, connecting customers to a broad range of video content through its pay television services. It also provides communications services, including residential high-speed internet, phone, and wireless services. Sky operates the Sky News broadcast network and sports and entertainment networks, produces original content, and has exclusive content rights. Visit www.comcastcorporation.com for more information.
View source version on businesswire.com:https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20190502005489/en/
CONTACT: Media Contact:
Louise Eich, Comcast
KEYWORD: UNITED STATES NORTH AMERICA PENNSYLVANIA
INDUSTRY KEYWORD: EDUCATION PRIMARY/SECONDARY ENTERTAINMENT GENERAL ENTERTAINMENT PHILANTHROPY LANDSCAPE OTHER PHILANTHROPY CONSTRUCTION & PROPERTY FOUNDATION FUND RAISING
SOURCE: Comcast Corporation
Copyright Business Wire 2019.
PUB: 05/02/2019 10:00 AM/DISC: 05/02/2019 10:01 AM