Related topics

Holocaust Survivor Finds Long-Lost Aunts

April 24, 1985

DALLAS (AP) _ For 42 years, Max Glauben thought he was the only member of his family who had survived the Holocaust of World War II.

His father, mother, brother and grandparents all perished in Nazi concentration camps. He thought his father’s two sisters had last been seen being led the gas chambers.

But on Monday, his two aunts telephoned the Dallas businessman, now 55, from Philadelphia after finding his name in a computer data bank.

″I started yippie-de-do-dahing it,″ he told The Dallas Morning News on Tuesday.

The sisters, both of Philadelphia, found his name in a computerized data bank maintained by the National Register of Jewish Holocaust Survivors. Computer terminals linked to the data bank, which has information on 55,000 people, were used this week at the American Gathering of Jewish Holocaust Survivors in Philadelphia.

″I’ve been looking for him for 30 years,″ Hanna Steiman, the aunt who first telephoned Glauben, told the newspaper. ″Right after liberation, somebody told me he may have made it alive. I look for him in Israel and in certain computers, but I couldn’t find him. For years, I gave up.″

When Glauben’s name popped up during the Philadelphia computer search, Mrs. Steiman said she was uncertain whether it was her nephew.

″But I asked him his mother’s name and his father’s name, and that’s what it is. It’s him,″ she said.

Glauben, owner of a garment supply business in Dallas, was 9 when his family was forced into the Warsaw ghetto, he said.

They were all taken four years later by boxcar to a concentration camp near Lublin, Poland. There, his mother and brother were sent to the gas chamber, he said. So, he thought, were his aunts.

Glauben’s father was executed later, he said, in apparent retribution for the escape of some Jewish prisoners. Glauben was sent to a succession of work camps, where he made patterns for aircraft components, he said.

″You were either good or you were dead. Being mechanically inclined probably saved my life,″ he said.

In talking with his aunts, Glauben said he learned they were removed from the gas chamber line and, like him, sent to work camps.

An organization sponsoring Jewish orphans brought Glauben to the United States in 1947. After working in Atlanta for a while, he served in the Army during the Korean War and moved in the 1950s to Dallas with his wife, Frieda.

Update hourly