Related topics

Boy Dials 911 to Escape Fire

April 29, 1986

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) _ A 6-year-old boy, alone and choking in a smoke-filled house, called the 911 emergency telephone number and listened to life-saving instructions from dispatchers as firefighters raced to the boy’s home.

Michael Wrubel talked to two dispatchers for more than five minutes before firefighters arrived Monday. The dispatchers told Michael to stay close to the ground and not stand up.

Michael’s parents, Richard and Joyce Wrubel, were at work and the child was unattended, said police Sgt. Ron Smith. Firefighters said Michael might have accidentally set the fire.

The boy, suffering a second-degree burn to his right forearm and smoke inhalation, was listed in stable condition at Brackenridge Hospital.

Firefighter Ray Loflin, who broke into the apartment to pull Michael to safety, praised him as ″a 21-year-old man in a 6-year-old’s body.″

Update hourly