SONGKHLA, Thailand (AP) _ Thai fishermen have rescued three dozen people caught in a typhoon that ravaged the Gulf of Thailand and the mainland four days ago and have discovered more bodies, the navy said today.

It was unclear whether any of the dead or rescued were from a U.S.-owned drilling ship that capsized Saturday with 97 crewmen aboard after being caught in the typhoon. Six crewmen have been rescued and seven bodies found.

According to press reports, some 400 Thai fishermen were missing. The navy report said at least 63 fishing boats sank in the storm and another nine were missing. The government death toll on land was 31, but one local official put the number at more than 70.

A navy ship found 17 bodies in the sea since beginning a search in the gulf east of Songkhla late Monday, navy spokesman Capt. Suravut Maharom said. Another 30 were found on an island in Chumphon province.

In addition, fisherman rescued 35 more people caught in Typhoon Gay, the navy said. It did not give details.

The search for 84 crewmen missing from the 5,373-ton Seacrest continued today.

The Seacrest capsized Saturday in the gulf during the worst storm to hit Thailand in three decades.

''All I remember is the sound of swirling wind. The darkness, the rain, the waves. And every now and then, the screams for help,'' Chalit Duangpakdee, a Seacrest survivor, said in an interview published by the English-language Bangkok Post today.

The Thai kitchen worker said the ship was buffeted by huge waves and an alarm went off to abandon ship. He grabbed a life jacket, jumped into the sea with many other crew members and managed to secure himself with rope inside a life raft.

A foreign crew member who also climbed into the lifeboat but had not tied himself down was swept away.

After several hours, Chalit was picked up by a Thai fishing boat, he told the newspaper.

The ship's owner, Unocal, today identified two more of the dead: Ed Seliger, the ship's West German captain, and Delvin Irby, an American tool pusher from Mississippi.

Eyewitnesses reportedly told Unocal that nearly all crew had abandoned the ship after the alarm and signal to do so had been given. But the captain and three others remained in the ship's wheelhouse, Unocal said in a press release.

A team of investigators from Los Angeles-based Unocal is investigating why the ship failed to withstand the high winds and seas and whether it was given adequate warning of the typhoon's approach.

The search for survivors was being carried out by the company and the Thai navy, which has used divers to check the submerged vessel.

The crew was mostly Thai, but seven were Americans. None of the known survivors are American.

The Seacrest capsized in the gulf's Platong field, one of several being exploited for natural gas by Unocal. It is 270 miles south of Bangkok.