1993 – 25 years ago
• The famous boardwalk in Mantorville is being torn out, a victim of lawsuits and high maintenance costs. The boardwalk, in place since the 1970s, is being replaced by concrete sidewalks.
• A third Rochester police officer will work as a liaison officer in the public schools this fall. Police Chief Pat Farrell said an officer will be assigned to Kellogg Junior High School.
1968 – 50 years ago
• Because of the cost, the city has withdrawn its request for a year-around swimming pool in the new John Adams Junior High School. The estimated cost of $225,000-$250,000 is deemed too much.
• Seventy-nine percent, or 717 of the past year’s 903 high school graduates in Rochester said they will continue their education. More than one-third of the graduates will enroll at Rochester State Junior College.
1943 – 75 years ago
• The Houston Baptist Church, oldest church in Houston County, is celebrating its 90th anniversary with special services.
• Elaine Thedens of the Dresser Valley 4-H Club and Lenny Schulz of the Rochester Rebels are among 4-H girls and boys of the state who are looking forward to the 12th annual event to select Minnesota’s 4-H club queen and king.
• The last seven survivors of Minnesota’s Civil War Veterans’ Association will be honored guests of the 1943 Minnesota State Fair.
1918 – 100 years ago
• A saloon keeper of Hammond was fined $100 for keeping his saloon open after hours. The $100 was turned over to the Red Cross.
• Mr. H. F. Luers, an Owatonna newspaper man, has entered the service as captain of Company C at Fort Snelling. He was previously discharged but has re-enlisted.
From news services
Ten years ago: At the Beijing Olympics, Michael Phelps and three teammates won the 400-meter medley relay for Phelps’ eighth gold medal. In tennis, Venus and Serena Williams defeated Anabel Medina Garrigues and Virginia Ruano Pascual of Spain in women’s doubles; Rafael Nadal defeated Fernando Gonzalez of Chile in the men’s singles; Elena Dementieva defeated fellow Russian Dinara Safina in the women’s singles. Matamoros, Mexico, pitcher Jesus Sauceda had the fifth perfect game in Little League World Series history as he struck out all 12 batters in a 12-0 win over Emilia, Italy. (The game went just four innings because of Little League’s mercy rule.)
Five years ago: The attorney for a young man who’d testified he was fondled by former Penn State assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky said his client had reached a settlement, the first among dozens of claims made against the school amid the Sandusky child sex abuse scandal. Nick Davilla threw six touchdown passes and the Arizona Rattlers defeated the Philadelphia Soul 48-39 in the ArenaBowl. Kansas City’s Miguel Tejada was suspended 105 games by Major League Baseball for violating its Joint Drug Program, one of the longest suspensions ever handed down.
One year ago: A van plowed through pedestrians along a packed promenade in the Spanish city of Barcelona, killing 13 people and injuring 120. (A 14th victim died later from injuries.) Another man was stabbed to death in a carjacking that night as the van driver made his getaway, and a woman died early the next day in a vehicle-and-knife attack in a nearby coastal town. (Six suspects in the attack were shot dead by police, two more died when a bomb workshop exploded.)
Today’s birthdays: Former Chinese president Jiang Zemin is 92. Author V.S. Naipaul is 86. Former MLB All-Star Boog Powell is 77. Actor Robert DeNiro is 75. Movie director Martha Coolidge is 72. Rock musician Gary Talley (The Box Tops) is 71. Actor-screenwriter-producer Julian Fellowes is 69. Actor Robert Joy is 67. International Tennis Hall of Famer Guillermo Vilas is 66. Rock singer Kevin Rowland (Dexy’s Midnight Runners) is 65. Rock musician Colin Moulding (XTC) is 63. Country singer-songwriter Kevin Welch is 63. Olympic gold medal figure skater Robin Cousins is 61. Singer Belinda Carlisle is 60. Author Jonathan Franzen is 59. Actor Sean Penn is 58. Jazz musician Everette Harp is 57. Rock musician Gilby Clarke is 56. Singer Maria McKee is 54. Rock musician Steve Gorman (The Black Crowes) is 53. Rock musician Jill Cunniff is 52. Actor David Conrad is 51. Actress Helen McCrory is 50. Singer Donnie Wahlberg is 49. College Basketball Hall of Famer and retired NBA All-Star Christian Laettner is 49. Rapper Posdnuos is 49. International Tennis Hall of Famer Jim Courier is 48. Retired MLB All-Star Jorge Posada is 47. TV personality Giuliana Rancic is 44. Actor Bryton James is 32. Actor Brady Corbet is 30. Actress Taissa Farmiga is 24. Olympic bronze medal figure skater Gracie Gold is 23.