Related topics

Smoking cited as cause of fatal North Andover fire

February 8, 2016

NORTH ANDOVER, Mass. (AP) — Officials say smoking was the cause of a fatal fire in North Andover over the weekend that left one person dead.

Acting State Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey and North Andover Fire Chief Andrew Melnikas said Monday officials determined the cause of the blaze Saturday afternoon was the improper use or disposal of smoking materials.

They say the fire originated on the living room couch and the victim’s clothing.

A 62-year-old woman who lived in a second-floor unit died. Her name has not been made public.

There were no working smoke alarms in the apartment.

Authorities say an elderly couple safely escaped the fire.

Update hourly