Related topics

Sharks beat Waratahs 32-10

March 29, 2014

DURBAN, South Africa (AP) — Second-half tries from Willem Alberts and Keegan Daniel carried the Sharks to a comprehensive 32-10 victory over the Waratahs in an ill-tempered Super Rugby clash on Saturday.

Alberts and Daniel both went over after sustained Sharks pressure to round off a dominant performance by the home side that extended its lead at the top of the table to six points.

A niggly first half failed to spark in terms of rugby action, but saw both captains unhappy with the conduct of the opposition.

The antipathy boiled over in the second period when New South Wales captain Dave Dennis was sent to the sin bin, allowing the Sharks to cruise to their fifth win of the campaign.

“I think our discipline let us down,” Dennis admitted in a television interview. “And we just couldn’t get that rhythm during the game with too many dropped balls.”

Although the Waratahs were first off the mark with Bernard Foley’s penalty in the fifth minute, they did not trouble the scorers again until the 78th as Foley missed two further penalty attempts in the first half.

Sharks flyhalf Fred Zeilinga, who was standing in for the injured Patrick Lambie, slotted three penalties from three attempts while Francois Steyn landed one from inside his own half to give the hosts a 12-3 lead at the break.

Referee Mike Fraser was kept busy in the opening period but elected not to show a card to Waratahs wing Rob Horne for a swinging arm, or to Steyn for a dubious tackle after the ball had gone.

However, eight minutes after halftime, he acted when Dennis nudged Sharks captain Bismarck du Plessis after the whistle to spark a minor row, and the visiting skipper spent 10 minutes in the sin bin.

The Sharks used the resulting penalty to set up a lineout close to the Waratahs tryline, from which a rolling maul sent Alberts over for the game’s first try.

Zeilinga added the conversion and then another penalty, and with eight minutes remaining Daniel took a quick tap-and-go from a penalty to crash over and give the Sharks a 29-3 lead.

Foley scythed through the Sharks’ defense to grab a consolation try for the visitors in the 78th but Zeilinga notched a fifth penalty after the hooter to give the Sharks an easy win.

Update hourly