UN expresses alarm about Congo rebel movements
KINSHASA, Congo (AP) — The commander of the United Nations peacekeeping mission in eastern Congo says M23 rebels have been reinforcing their positions in recent days.
Lt. Gen. Carlos Alberto Dos Santos Cruz said Wednesday that “these military activities are against a solution for peace.”
M23 spokesman Amani Kabasha, however, said the changes were normal troop movements. He says rebels also have observed a reinforcement of government troops near rebel positions.
The U.N. mission also said Wednesday it hopes to have surveillance drones operational by the end of November along the tense Congolese-Rwandan border.
The M23 fighters launched their rebellion last year, and peace talks with the Congolese government have repeatedly stalled. The U.N. and others charge that Rwanda is backing the rebels, a claim the Rwandan government denies.