Yanks’ Strawberry Suspended 1 Year
TAMPA, Fla. (AP) _ Darryl Strawberry was suspended for one year today by baseball commissioner Bud Selig after testing positive for cocaine last month.
Selig did not make any provision for Strawberry to return early from the suspension for good behavior.
``This was a very difficult and painful decision for me to make,″ Selig said. ``The meeting I had with Darryl and his wife, Charisse, last Tuesday was an emotional experience for all of us. I had no doubt that his remorse and sorrow were genuine, and I worried about the effect my decision would have on his health and the welfare of his family.
``In the end, I could not ignore Darryl’s past infractions and concluded that each of us must be held accountable for his or her actions. I am hopeful that he will use this time away from the game productively and will care for himself and his family.″
It was Strawberry’s third cocaine-related suspension from baseball.
In 1995, Selig suspended him for 60 days following a positive test for cocaine use. In 1999, Selig banned him again from April 24 to Aug. 4 after the New York Yankees outfielder was arrested for cocaine possession and soliciting a prostitute. Strawberry later pleased no contest to the charges and was undergoing regular drug tests as part of his legal punishment.
His Jan. 19 test came back positive and led to the latest penalty.
``Bud just told me,″ Yankees owner George Steinbrenner said when he left the team’s minor league complex following an intrasquad game. ``We will abide by the decision. I feel badly for Darryl. My hopes and prayers are that he can do the things he needs to do to get his life in order.″