Spokane City Credit Union completes major renovation
A major update to a 1970s-era bank building, including interior demolition and new landscaping, is complete.
Work on the Spokane City Credit Union building, 1930 N. Monroe St., began in the spring. A complete renovation was done to the credit union’s 2,000-square-foot main building and 2,800-square-foot lower level.
The property was cleared completely, and new pavement, asphalt driveways and rock landscaping was added.
The $650,000 project required the demolition of a house on-site at Lincoln Street and Shannon Avenue. The house, which was most recently used as a duplex, was built in 1904 and housed the credit union’s operation through construction.
The parking lot was moved to the east side of the property, where the house sat. An Avista electric vehicle-charging station was installed in the lot.
The work was done on the south end of a major road construction project that remade North Monroe, but the construction was unrelated.
The credit union was founded in 1934, and its customers were exclusively city employees. In 1978, credit union membership was expanded to Spokane Transit Authority employees, and in 1980 it opened membership to “anyone who lives, works, worships, or goes to school in the State of Washington,” according to its website. It has 5,200 members.
The project’s general contractor was Spokane Valley’s Meridian Construction & Development. The renovation was designed by MMEC Architecture & Interiors, of Spokane.