Day in History: Old Troy Mill to be razed
1993 – 25 years ago
• Kjersten Kramer of Rochester Mayo captured the girls 3,200-meter race at the Mankato Invitational cross country meet.
1968 – 50 years ago
• The Communist Party candidates for president and vice president will appear on the Minnesota ballot Nov. 5 as a result of a decision by a three-judge federal panel. Communists have been on the ballot five times in Minnesota.
1943 – 75 years ago
• Razing of the 86-year-old mill at Troy, 10 miles south of St. Charles, is in progress. Troy, once a booming village, today only has one store, a couple of homes and the mill. The mill was a center of activities in early days including a refuge in Indian raids.
1918 – 100 years ago
• A large number of goats were seen being driven through Rochester today. The goats came from the Mayowood Farm, southwest of the city. They were on their way to the railway yards to be shipped to Chicago.
• The convention of the Southeastern Minnesota Educational association which was to have been at Winona has been postponed due to influenza dangers.