AP NEWS
Related topics

Accidental fire leaves hole in village’s business district

December 18, 2018

FOWLER, Mich. (AP) — An accidental fire has left a hole in the business district of a small mid-Michigan village.

The Lansing State Journal reports Tuesday that the blaze destroyed two shops along Main Street in Fowler, about 120 miles (193 kilometers) northwest of Detroit.

No one was injured in the fire that started Saturday morning in a candle shop and spread to an adjacent bridal studio. An apartment above the bridal shop also was destroyed.

The two-story building was constructed around 1900 and formerly housed hardware, grocery and dry goods stores.

Village President Vern Thelen told the newspaper that the community is “pretty heartbroken over the loss of a very historic building,” but is “very thankful it wasn’t worse.”

Thelen said officials would like to see something fill the gap left by the fire.

___

Information from: Lansing State Journal, http://www.lansingstatejournal.com

AP RADIO
Update hourly