AP NEWS

7 Displaced by 2-Alarm Fitchburg Blaze

March 12, 2019
Fitchburg firefighters, using a chainsaw, cut a ventilation hole in the roof to allow smoke and heat to escape from a multifamily home at 268 Kimball St. that caught fire Monday morning. SENTINEL & ENTERPRISE photos / CLIFF CLARK Sentinel and Enterprise staff photos can be ordered by visiting our SmugMug site.

By Cliff Clark

cclark@sentinel andenterprise.com

FITCHBURG -- Seven residents and three pets living in a multifamily dwelling on Kimball Street were displaced Monday morning after a fire heavily damaged the two-story structure.

“The house just caught on fire,” said Matthew DeMar, who had just taken a shower when he saw the smoke and was visibly shaken by what happened.

He said he alerted the rest of the residents living in the house, located at 268 Kimball St., to make sure each got out safely.

DeMar, who has two dogs and a cat, said the dogs got out safely and he saw his cat run from the building, believing it was also unhurt.

He said that he had only recently had his apartment examined by a city housing inspector because of his concerns about the building.

Fitchburg Fire Chief Kevin Roy said the fire call came in about 11:45 a.m.

“It was a two-alarm fire,” said Roy. “The fire was in between the second and third floor, and there is some fire damage on the second floor.”

Once firefighters arrived, they quickly cut a ventilation hole in the roof to allow the heat and smoke to escape.

Firefighters first entered with water hoses, and after the fire was knocked down, in about 15 minutes, said Roy, they began pulling the ceiling and walls down to expose any areas still smoldering.

There were no injuries.

The fire remains under investigation, said Roy.

The apartment is owned by the Concord-based company Mount Kembell LLC.

The Leominster Fire Department assisted in fighting the fire.